Your family's needs are important. Understand the steps you can take today to create a secure financial future for you and those you love most.
Setting goals and designing plans are critical to achieving financial security and peace of mind, especially as you prepare to get married, start a family or plan for college. Our advisors work with individuals and families to develop financial strategies for any stage of life.
Establish your mutual goals.
- What life values are important to you?
- What type of lifestyle appeals to you?
- Will you have children?
- Will you vacation every year?
- Do you want to pursue a hobby or other outside interest?
- Will you fund your children's higher education?
A To-Do List for New Parents
- Request a Social Security card for your newborn and order a certified birth certificate.
- Update beneficiaries, including 401(k)s, IRAs, insurance policies and trusts.
- Add your child to your health insurance policy and choose a pediatrician who is within your policy’s network to keep your out-of-pocket costs as low as possible.
- Review childcare options in your area well in advance. Newborn care can be costly and often in short supply.
- Create or revise your will to make sure your child and any future children are protected.
Paying for College
With college costs on the rise, it's important to start saving as soon as possible.
Losing a Loved One
If you are responsible for handling matters after losing a loved one, it’s important to take these steps in advance to ensure their financial affairs are in order.
Life after Divorce
Now is the time to move forward and focus on making your financial future as comfortable and error-free as possible.
- Establish or adjust your financial and/or estate plan, pending your final divorce settlement.
- Close all joint banking, financial and credit card accounts and open new ones in your name.
- Review and update beneficiaries on all of your investment, insurance and estate documents to match the provisions in your divorce agreement.