Your Complete Guide to Construction Financing
How to Apply
How One-Time Close Construction Loans Work
Types of Construction Loans
This is a combined construction and permanent loan financing option to save you time and money. You’ll enjoy the convenience of one loan, one application and one closing date.
Benefits of a one-time close construction loan include:
- Interest only payment during construction based on the funds drawn
- Low down payment options
- Maximum loan amount up to conforming loan guidelines of $726,200
- Option to lock your rate up to 180 days prior to the final draw being made
Our portfolio construction loans provide financing options for homeowners that have high value construction projects that exceed conforming loan amounts.
Benefits of portfolio jumbo construction loans include:
- Interest-only payments during construction based on the funds drawn
- Loan to values (LTVs) vary, with loan amounts available up to $3,000,000
- Long-term fixed rates, generally up to 30 years
- Adjustable-rate mortgages (ARMs) with various term options
- Once the final draw is made, you may have the option to relock your rate, for a fee, should the current rate be lower
A lot loan allows you to purchase land before you start construction. Once you’re ready to build, your lot loan can be financed as part of the construction loan.
Lot loan financing benefits include:
- Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI) is not required
- Finance up to 20 acres
- 1-2-3 year balloon payment options with longer amortizations
In turn-key financing, the builder is responsible for the cost of construction. The homeowner finances the purchase of the new home when construction is complete and they are handed the key.
Benefits of turn-key mortgage financing include:
- Homeowner finances the completed project with a traditional mortgage loan
- Faster project, typically 4 – 6 months
- Less stress and money obligations while your home is being built
- Homes typically are built in subdivisions
- Flexibility to lock your rate up to 180 days prior to closing for free, should the current rate be lower
- Builder is responsible for the construction financing
Construction Loan FAQs
Loans are subject to credit and property approval, bank underwriting guidelines, and may not be available in all states. Other loan programs and pricing may be available. Certain conditions, terms, and restrictions may apply based on the loan program selected. The term of the loan may vary based upon program chosen. Property insurance is required; if the collateral is determined to be in an area having special flood hazards, flood insurance will be required.