SBA Payment Protection Program Forgiveness
Last updated October 27, 2020
SBA PPP Forgiveness Guidance
Congratulations on receiving a Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loan from Johnson Financial Group (JFG). The PPP, as part of the CARES ACT, allows for a portion or all of your loan to be forgiven if proceeds are used to cover eligible expenses. The following is a summary as of October 27, 2020. As new details are provided by the SBA, we will continue to update this site with our latest guidance.
- Your loan can be forgiven up to the full principal amount, along with any accrued interest. However, there are a number of factors that may limit the amount eligible for loan forgiveness.
- The amount of your loan can only be forgiven up to the sum of the eligible expenses (listed below) incurred, and payments made, during the 8-24 week period beginning on the date of receipt of the loan proceeds from the lender (the “covered period”).
- To maximize forgiveness, a minimum of 60% of the loan amount must be used for eligible payroll expenses, and no more than a maximum of 40% of the amount forgiveness may be used for eligible non-payroll expenses.
- Your loan forgiveness amount could be further reduced if you (1) fail to maintain the same number of full time equivalents during the covered period, compared to a defined lookback period and/or (2) decrease wages paid by more than 25% for employees making less than $100,000 per year.
- Adequate documentation regarding the tracking of these expenses will likely be required.
While additional details are forthcoming, here is what we know and can share as of August 10th:
- The Paycheck Protection Program Flexibility Act of 2020 (‘PPP Flexibility Act’), which was signed into law on June 5, 2020, modifies the loan forgiveness process and provides significant benefits to PPP loan borrowers.
- The SBA has announced that it will issue additional guidance and a revised loan forgiveness application that complies with the PPP Flexibility Act.
- The SBA has issued both SBA Form 3508 Standard and 3508 EZ, Schedule A and a Schedule A Worksheet to help with the forgiveness process.
- The SBA has announced that it will begin accepting Lender submissions on August 10, 2020, subject to extension if any new legislative amendments to the forgiveness process necessitate changes to the system.
- To make this process most efficient, JFG will be using an online portal for your forgiveness application, and to upload any required documentation.
- We continue to enhance our portal for processing. When the SBA offers the final criteria for electronic submission, we will advise you of the potential start date for accepting forgiveness applications.
- The JFG online portal will assist you with the selection of the proper application.
- Once you are eligible to apply for loan forgiveness, you will be sent an e-mail with instructions for processing through the JFG PPP Forgiveness portal.
- Submission of the application will occur via the portal and be completed with an electronic signature through the portal.
- As a reminder, 8 weeks after your loan was disbursed is the earliest you can begin preparing for the forgiveness process.
- SBA has extended the deferment of all note payments to 24 weeks + 10 months from the disbursement date of the note to make your first payment. Example: If the loan funded on 4.13, the 1st payment would be due on 7.28.2021.
- There is no immediate action needed to complete/submit SBA Form 3508 Standard or 3508 EZ.
- In order to prepare, you must first determine which forgiveness application you will be using.
- Again, the JFG online portal will assist you with the selection of the proper application.
- If you would like to begin preparing now, we recommend you connect with your Attorney or Accountant for specific guidance for your business.
- For additional details, please visit the U.S. Small Business Administration Paycheck Protection Program.
- You must be past the 8-24 week covered period post disbursement, and have used the PPP funding in the correct prescribed way as per the SBA forgiveness requirements.
- Once you receive access to the portal, you can begin the submission process at any time
- You will be notified via the online portal, if any additional information is required.
- The U.S. Treasury and Small Business Administration (SBA) are responsible for the rules of the program which determine the amount of loan forgiveness you may receive. This can include full, partial or no forgiveness.
- We encourage you to visit the SBA website for the most up-to-date program rules and guidance.
- JFG has 60 days to review a fully completed application for forgiveness.
- After JFG submits the application to the SBA, according to the SBA Interim Final Rule on Forgiveness, they have 90 days to review, approve and fund the application.
- You will be notified by JFG when the SBA accepts and the amount of the forgiveness that has been approved.
- Salary, wages, commissions, or tips (capped at $100,000 on an annualized basis for each employee);
- Employee benefits including costs for vacation, parental, family, medical, or sick leave; allowance for separation or dismissal; payments required for the provisions of group health care benefits including insurance premiums; and payment of any retirement benefit;
- State and local taxes assessed on compensation; and
- For a sole proprietor or independent contractor: wages, commissions, income, or net earnings from self-employment, capped at $100,000 on an annualized basis for each employee.
Click here to learn the key facts and the answers to common questions employers are asking our advisors
- Rent (in place prior to Feb 15, 2020);
- Utilities on rented or owned business property in the name of the applicant (Not homesteads);
- Interest on mortgage debt obligations of the applicant (in place prior to Feb 15, 2020)
PPP Portal FAQs
Please access this form for reference only. The portal will guide you through an electronic version of the form.
We suggest you use Chrome for the best application experience, however Firefox, Safari and Edge are compatible, Internet Explorer is not. If you currently use Internet Explorer you will need to download one of the free browsers listed here.
- If you have not yet received the registration email , please check your email SPAM/Junk folders, often system generated emails can be automatically redirected. The subject line will read: Action Needed – Registration | Johnson Financial Group SBA PPP Forgiveness Portal.
- If you are still unable to locate the email and your company has more sophisticated network filters, please contact your IT Admin for assistance in locating the email. If the email can not be found, please contact our support mailbox: SBAForgivenessSupport@johnsonfinancialgroup.com.
- If you forgot your password, you can initiate a password reset via the portal home page “Forgot Your Password” link.
For all other login issues, please contact the support mailbox at: SBAForgivenessSupport@johnsonfinancialgroup.com
If you start your application down one path and later prefer to submit using the alternate form, please email the JFG SBA PPP Support team.
Data from your original loan application has been pre-loaded for you and must match the data on file with the SBA. If updates are needed to any of the pre-filled data, please contact the JFG SBA PPP Support team.
- If you are still in process of data input, you will see a “Back” buttons on each page which will allow you to change your entries.
- If you are on the final review step, you will see pencil icons that will allow you to jump back to the source page to edit.
- If you have already submitted your application you will need to contact the JFG SBA PPP Support team
Each file must be less than 25MB in order to upload to the portal.
This information is optional, simply click “SKIP” to bypass this page.
Please log into the Forgiveness portal at anytime to view your current status. Upon login, click “Continue” to access the detailed status for the SBA review found at the top of the “Apply for Forgiveness” tab.
Please note: Once JFG has reviewed your application and has confirmed it to be complete, we will contact you via email requesting eSignature on the final Form 3508(EZ) Forms. If questions arise post review, we will also contact you via email for clarification/adjustment as applicable.